Thursday, May 04, 2006

Certain days

Jolly good!

You know, some days are really hard. This afternoon has been one of those days. Suprisingly enough, it has nothing at all to do with my current occupation, though it has everything to do with the Lord.

I've been reading a book called Tahn. It's the story of an assassin that is so tormented by his past that he rebels against his master (with the penalty being a trip to the burning pole) to save a lady he'd once been ordered to kill and now has been ordered to kidnap so his master can have his way with her. Over the course of the book he saves her, part of her family and some children who were destined to have the same life he was forced to live. He becomes a believer (along with the children and part of the mercenary band), confronts his former master and wins the lady's heart. (I totally ruined the book, didn't I? Sorry....)

A lot of this man's pain I can identify with. I'm not an assassin, but I have hurt people before, and deeply. I've betrayed trusts that have been given to me by friends and by the Lord, and guilt from that runs deep and is not easily washed away. Even so, I can't help but think of the grace that has been offered to me from all of those people, including Him; and I can't help but think about the forgiveness he offers so freely. There is no peace like the peace that comes from resting in His presence.

Danny

Tonight, I think that I'm going to sleep well.

3 comments:

Holly said...

Thanks for ruining the book - - uh, I mean, for the synopsis and examination of the underlying story!

I'm not going to say that I'm sorry yesterday was hard for you because in all honesty, when things are hard with the Lord, we grow more in Him. So - I'm GLAD things were tough yesterday.

Thanks for the reminder abot peace in Him... good stuff.

Dan said...

That's funny...I agree.

Eric said...

i was about to ask for that book for a half birthday present. thanks for spoiling it! anyways, you're real strong and dedicated when it comes to your friends (or at least me). man, all i can do is give thanks for your guidence and friendship