Monday, April 10, 2006

Teenagers eat chocolate. Teenagers are pimply.

--Therefore, chocolate makes people pimply. Well, not really, but it can make you unhealthy.

Read Disposable Worship

I think I agree with the basic premise of this article, which if I understand it, is to glorify the Lord during times of corporate worship. I disagree with a lot of what he says, though. Maybe it's because I'm picky, I don't know.

I agree with being careful about the use of technology, but I think a lot of people take this overboard. I've heard people say that you shouldn't use electric guitars or drums in worship, because the feelings you have are not from a deep experience with God, they are the chords rolling through your body.
Well, sort of. Music is certainly one of the most powerful indoctrinating tools I've ever seen. Especially when you really can feel the chords push through you with every beat. However, I fail to see how an acoustic guitar is any different. I fail to see how the human voice is any different. If these sound waves are reaching our ears, regardless of how loud or soft they are, the same waves still touch our brains. Think about it - music can inundate your brain with a consistent frequency pulse that penetrates your skull like a hot knife through butter, even though it doesn't leave a mark. It can actually change the way you think, even without lyrics. Ever heard of sonic weapons? These weapons are designed to make people vomit and are intended for non-lethal mob dispersal. Don't tell me music doesn't effect you.
They key, I think, is the knowing the Prescence. True, we may never know the Prescence in some of the ways it is described in the Old Testament, but I believe we can know it.
I think this is one reason why quiet times are SO important. How else are you going to be able to tell if what you are feeling is the Prescence or a chemical reaction to caffiene, doughnuts, loud music or pulsating strobe lights? How are you going to know the fake if you don't know the real thing first? How are you going to be able to see the lies if you don't know the truth?

Just some rambles.

Danny

No comments: