Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Back to Reality

G'day, again!

You know, I am so consistently unimpressed with the Evangelical community these days that it almost wants to make me puke. I'm serious. I've perused the evangelical websites, read the books and magazines, and I can't help but wonder things like the following:

Why do people think Christ's death on the cross is not applicable to our culture?

Why does no one in a church of over 15,000 members answer a question about Reformed Theology?

Why do the two major evangelical churches in my area teach solely on life application of Biblical principals and does not teach the Word directly?

Why does one of those churches show women in bikinis during an advertisement for the church's picnic?

Why does the same church have no accountability in place for the pastor?

Why is it that no matter which church I go to (not an exaggeration!) I hear the pastor give a speech about needing money for a new building when there are empty seats in the old one?

Why does a lot of the worship have false/no doctrine in it?

Why is there such an emphasis on webcasting, lights and current music at the expense of the depth of worship (ref above question)?

I confess that the evangelical community has done a lot of good. From fluid resources like money, materials and time to the real-life application of Biblical principals, I see a lot of good come out of the evangelical community, as I do a lot of other places.
But what's the cost? Does our process of conforming to the image of Christ involve repentance and the death of our sinfulness? Or does it involve "life changing sermons with relevant biblical principals presented after an action-packed worship experience?"

An altar is a place where things die. Dead. We are required to visit this altar daily, not for our continued salvation, but to be conformed to his image (and part of his image is Him on the cross...).

I guess I get frustrated easily. Lord knows I'm just as guilty of this negligence as the people I'm ranting about.


So those who received his word were baptized, and there were added that day about three thousand souls. And they devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers.
(Act 2:41-42) NIV

3 comments:

Kt said...

Wow Danny-- some of the exact same things I wonder about- especially now trying to find a church that FEEDS real food and not just milk.

We are both on a search for meat here, and it's getting slim to none to find it.-- But we will with Gods everloving guidance! Good post, good thoughts, well put!

Holly said...

Those are great questions Danny, and valid ones at that. Finding a church isn't easy and it is definately frustrating in regard to these concerns.

Persevere.

Dr. Dolly (@drdolly) said...

I was frustrated with churches in OKC up until our last 9mos there, when we found that cool church in Norman. They're just a reflection of the evangelical movement sweeping across America: lots of glitter and glam, but little foundational substance. After all, it's not about US, what WE want...it's about worshipping God together.