Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Overhead Not

Good evening.

I had a funny happen yesterday. After my workout I was practicing form with a 95lb overhead squat. I tried to lift the bar above my head, but it got to just over eye level and stopped. After a moment I realized that bar wasn't going anywhere and I had to let it come back down. I wondered how dumb I looked by not being able to get it, but then realized that only about five other people I know would be willing to try that anyway. (Can you see me trying to console myself? What a baby!)
That's how I feel about theology. Most people seem content to let it go and just say "God loves you." I can't. I have to know the details or it drives me crazy. At the same time though, it's so stinkin' confusing that I almost get there and some "minor" detail emerges that blows my mind. Sure, curiosity killed the cat, but why?

Dan

2 comments:

Holly said...

That's funny and I probably would've paid money to see you "console yourself". Though you didn't lift it all the way, there's something to say about trying it anyway!

Questions about theology are a good thing - one needs to know what they believe and why they believe it. It gives a greater grasp on how we understnad God. However, as I've said lots of times, man's arguments of theological/philisophical debates are only a partial understanding - you will never know anything fully about God, there's no way we can as mutliple passages in the bible point out (throughout Job, Psalms, well - pretty much the entire thing!).

I admire your diligence in seeking Truth and studying - MANY Christians refuse to do so!

Kt said...

Hey there buddy!! It's nice to read your blog again. Nice time at the gym I take it? Well, it's nice to see you writing so often!

I think it's good that those minor details knock us off track a little bit..it keeps us open and willing to learn more. I hope all is well and I hope to have coffee with you one of these days, especially since it's so dang cold outside.... Holly seems to be loving your blog too. Keep it up Danny!