Saturday, December 17, 2005

Close Call

I was playing Airsoft with some people a couple of weeks ago and had an interesting experience. In case you don't know, Airsoft is like paintball except the guns are modeled after real firearms and they fire plastic BB's.
My team consisted of four people. We had a five minute walk to our "base" and began setting up positions to defend it, since the other team was supposed to attack. All of that was fine and dandy until we got there and realized there was no cover. In the summertime the place would have been an excellent base, but in the dead of winter all of our cover died off.
We sat around talking for a few minutes, trying to decide what to do. Finally one guy got fed up and decided that he was going to hide in a little foxhole about five yards outside "camp," and could somebody cover him since he can't see the enemy coming? (It's actually not as silly as it sounds, the place he picked was pretty good. He just needed someone to let him know when to sit up and fire.) The rest of us him-hawed around, and I finally volunteered. The other two guys beat feet to thier position, perhaps 10-15 yards away and behind some nice cover.
I walked around for a couple of minutes looking for a nice place to lay and realized the only place possible was out in the open behind an old tree. I nearly decided to go off to the other fellows and got an integrity check...I'd said that I would cover this guy, so I went behind the tree and squirmed into the ground as much as possible. There was no way the other team wouldn't be able to see and shoot me. No way.
About five minutes later a face poked it's way through a thicket on the other side of the "base." The airsoft gun I was using had a scope on it and I got to watch up close as two members of the other team came creeping out of the brush and looked around for us. One guy looked right at me but apparently didn't see the rifle pointed at him.
I put the crosshairs on the chest of the first guy and squeezed the trigger. Nothing happened! I felt down for the safety and realized that I left it on. By the time this was corrected he was almost to close to shoot, so I let the other guy have it. My team member in the foxhole jumped up and took out the first guy. Exciting stuff!
It's funny how God uses little things like this to teach. I reflected on this afterwards and a suprising lesson emerged. The place I layed down did not offer much for concealment and even less for cover. I was sitting there thinking that the moment someone came through the thicket I was going to be tagged. Not only did that not happen, but our team actually won!
I was reminded of Matthew 10:39 : "Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it." (NIV)
I was reminded of the willingness in my heart to do everything that I know is wrong, and the reluctance to surrender my will to God's.
I wonder about that sometimes. Why is it so hard to do something that is God's will when it is so obviously the best thing that can be done??? Why am I so stubborn and resistant to doing what He wants? Anyway, just random thoughts. Adios.

Dan

No comments: