Thursday, March 30, 2006

Lions and Tigers and Bears

G'day.

I've spent this morning doing squadron PT and being amazed at how slow and out of shape I am. I think my reason is a legitimate one (tendonitis in BOTH, yes, count'em, TWO knees), but it's still frustrating. I ran on the trail for the first time in a month today (about two miles), and so far the pain has been minimal. Thank goodness for joint mobility! I don't know what I'd do if ya'll hadn't shown me that. Last time this tendonitis hit me it hurt to even do pushups, but it hasn't been nearly that bad yet. Hopefully it won't be!

I've got Jeff Galloway's Book on Running, and am sludging my way through a 10K in 49 mins plan. I've stalled on week three to give my legs a chance to acclimate better, but will continue it starting Saturday. I tried doing some interval training about four weeks ago but it felt like someone was tightening a vice around my lower body, so I quit after three laps. Plus, it was cold, and my muscles were already tight from that. I've decided that instead of doing interval training on the days the plan calls for it (mid-week), I'll just turn up the treadmill faster. (Yes, I said treadmill!! Doesn't it just make you want to PUKE? It does me.) The treadmill runs are just weak enough to let me run longer distances with less pain, so I've set a goal: Five miles on the treadmill consistently, and I'll start doing at least one run a week on the trail. I can do four already (which is actually five if you count the warm-up mile), and since I ran about 1.75-2 miles on the trail today, I figure five will give me a good start without risking more injury. Gee-ross.

In addition to that, I'm building in some cals, reps starting in the 10's and going to the 100's. (Look at me, mister tough guy!!! Whateba!) They'll be done in different routines, and I'll still feel like a sissy. But I gotta start somewhere (I have no excuse for not working out more like this, other than laziness.) In about three weeks (assuming my legs don't fall off) I'll start doing some belling and Crossfit again. I've discovered that these two exercise routines can be good therapy for injuries as long as I don't overdo it and listen to what the body is telling me.

My PT test is in two weeks. It seems like every time this test comes around I'm sick, injured, or for whatever reason (usually out of my control!) I'm not at me best. Hardy har. Guess that's the Lord's way of humbling me. I'll try and take it as a blessing. Though I have noticed over the years that when I peak in fitness, it's usually higher than it was in the past, and when I slump, it's not quite as far. There is a definite growth factor, though recently it has been in the size of my belly!

I'm hopefully getting a new toy this weekend. It's a Jetboil hiking stove. Yippee!! It boils a liter of water in a minute or less and is very compact. It even comes with mods to make it a group cooking system or a coffee pot! Yeah baby, yeah!

4 comments:

Dr. Dolly (@drdolly) said...

I learned some cool stuff about rehabing extremity injuries this past week. There was a really cool doctor from Edmond, OK at the clinic while we were there. She has scoliosis and is learning to treat that as well as other spinal structural correction issues. Look up Dr. Harmony (first name) in Edmond. She'll know about rehab of extremities and vibration platform to speed up the process tremendously. She could help you!!

Also, anything "itis" means inflammation, so stay away from acidic foods (lunch meats, sugar, citrus, most dairy--except mozarella) and go with higher protein-content foods and green vegies high in anti-oxidants. Meanwhile, load up on omega-3 oils which will also help counter the tendonitis. And, drink half your body weight (in ounces) of water. So, if you weigh 180 lbs, drink 90 oz of water per day. That'll get you back up to where you want to be in a hurry!

Anonymous said...

Try bike or elipticle trainer instead of the stupid treadmill. They're no impact and shouldn't bother you tendonitis nearly as much. Try doing hard workouts on them and run occasionally to maintain your conditioning. You might try running faster which tends to take away some of the impact on joints/tendons. If you run faster/shorter runs (5k) you'll do less wear and tear but you'll still be able to do a moderate 10k without trouble once your 5k speed is pretty good (~21:00). In other words, increase speed first...then distance - the body seems to tolerate it better. And don't stop bike/eliptical completely when you start running again.

Dan said...

The water thing I do anyway, so that's no big deal. How do I load up with VitC without citrus?

Dr. Dolly (@drdolly) said...

Danny, you need to take the tablets that are 500mg. Your body can absorb up to 1000 mg per hour. Start out with 1000 mg 3-5 times per day. FYI, you're getting comment spam on your blog. Add the counter-comment spam feature on blogger than requires a retype code feature as seen on my blog for comments. Should be available on blogger's home page.