Saturday, September 30, 2006

WoDtastic, once again!

G'day mates....

It's been a while since I've posted a workout. Sorry about that. About a month ago I got sick and nearly put myself in the hospital after I decided to just "push through it," and have had short-notice stuff at work ever since then.

For the past two-three weeks I've mostly been doing swimming (finning, to be technically correct).

Today's WoD:

Warmup:
Two trips down the pool (25 yards) with fins, underwater, didn't make it all the way the second time. Sidestroke most of the way back.
10 or so minutes of snorkeling fun. Wasn't really that challenging. Just getting the blood flowing, ya'know? Things like swim to the deep end, dive to the bottom, do a somersault, swim back. It varied every trip just so I didn't get bored.

Mental Games (I know some of you are wondering why I'm trying to stretch my already abused head):
I've got a little pack that came with my snorkeling set (mask, snorkel, fins). So, I put a camp shovel in there for some weight (used it before for other stuff), ran a rope through it and drug it to the deep end. There, separated the rope and tied three knots in it. Then I separated the bag and snorkel and rope by about three-five feet and swam back. The object was to swim sidestroke to the drop off, dive under, put on the snorkel, untie the rope and drag the bag back. I did that a couple or three times.

WoD:
Working on conditioning right now because of the long break.

Tabata JOY:
20 sec work/10 sec rest continuous:
Pullups
Pushups
Situps
Squats

Back to the pool after that:

Mask retrieval and clearing for a couple or three trips down.

Bobbing. I FINALLY figured out how to bob without hitting the water at an awkward angle every time I go down. I realized that my back arches at the top (which causes a change in my center of gravity and results in a semi-somersault when I sink again). I started looking at the ceiling at the top of the bob and that seems to fix it. Though I'm pretty confident with bobbing, doing it after the WoD added a new dimension. I'm sure doing it all tied up will be different, too. I'd try it but I'm afraid the lifeguards will freak out...they get so nervous about me they come and stand wherever I'm working. Seriously! Poor gals.

For some reason a snorkeling mask (mainly the nose cup) completely wigs me out. Underwater is not that bad...can't breathe there anyway. The first time I swam with it underwater and tried to breathe on the surface I nearly lost it. Being underwater isn't bad, but trying to suck air through a sealed mask is certainly an adaptation I'm having to learn to deal with. When I started bobbing with it on I had to start from the very beginning again...going to one bob, then two, then three, and so on and so forth.

After this, it was time to go.

No comments: