Sunday, September 10, 2006

What's the point here, anyway?

Dan John's "Another article on steroids."

Wow.

As I read the article, it occurred to me (again) that my body is not the only thing that grows stronger in the gym. It also occurred to me that really, isn't that the point? What's the point of training a body that is just going to die and rot after a few short years? Hmmm. Well, quality of life is an obvious answer, but I'm thinking there is more to it than that.

Why are we created as "three-fold" people - we have a body, we have a spirit, we have a soul. All of these things must come under the mastery of Christ in our lives. Personally, I think the biggest gain of me going to the gym is the mental strength that results from doing a WoD on less than four hours of sleep, or doing three workouts a day, or really, just doing a WoD since one is hard enough by itself.

After I'm done my body is exhausted, worn out and I'm often about ready to puke. My mind is different...it's running on all cylinders (there aren't very many!) and I feel ready to take on anything. If I've trained properly, oftentimes I've also grown just a tad little bit through worship and prayer and praise.

Hmm. Well, there it is...Jesus. He's the point.

No comments: